Shout-out to the women of colour performers who share stages every day with their male counterparts, in an industry that doesn’t always recognize their contributions.
This weekend, Toronto’s Manifesto festival concert will feature headliners Majid Jordan, Jidenna, Isaiah Rashad and the Internet. With a heavily male focused line-up, This is Worldtown takes a look at the women who will be throwing it down this Saturday at Echo Beach.
- This is an exciting festival debut for the female rap collective hailing from Toronto called the Sorority, and featuring MCs Haviah Mighty, Keysha Freshh, Lex Leosis, pHoenix Pagliacci.
- They gained notoreity after winning at an all-female cipher in on International Women’s Day in March 2016, with a video of their performance going viral.
- Watch their video Ladies Night feat. Leila Day, 20 years after the release of original Ladies Night featuring the great MCs Lil’ Kim, Angie Martinez, Left Eye, Da Brat & Missy Elliott.
- The entire entire production was done by women and features appearances by original Bad Gyal, and the first Canadian MC to ever be signed to an American record label, Michie Mee.
- Tika Simone is a multi-tasking scene builder, but when she takes the stage, her songs capture your full attention.
- In addition to performing, Tika is making waves as a cultural producer and entrepreneur. She is the founder of the Known Unknown, a female-focused music series, and overseer of #BAREGYAL, Toronto’s premiere party for women of colour.
- She is also the co-founder of #GYALCAST, the pop culture podcast where music, sex and black girl magic meet.
- Tika has spoken openly about her issues with trauma and depression and how her EP Carry On helped her healing. Listen below.
Syd from the Internet
- Twenty-five year old, Los Angeles native Syd (born Sydney Bennett) made her name as Syd Tha Kid, producer of hip-hop collective Odd Future.
- She made her debut as the frontwoman for The Internet in 2011 bringing smooth, ethereal sounds and standing confidently as a gay frontwoman in a space that can be hyper masculine.
- Syd is believed to have come out on the Internet’s 2011 video “Cocaine”.
- Syd comes from a musical family: her mother is a former DJ and her uncle in old school producer Mikey Bennett.
- With Syd at the front, the Internet’s album Ego Death was nominated for a Grammy in 2016.
- In February, she released her debut solo album Fin — what she told Pitchfork is “my descent into the depth I want the band to get to”.
Watch the video for, the appropriately titled, “All About Me” from Fin:
Watch the full promo for #Manifesto11 concert on Saturday below. And check out a full list of events happening over the weekend on their website.